Sunday, July 3, 2011

Fans Voting for All-Star Teams

After taking a look at the rosters for this years MLB baseball rosters, I am left scratching my head. Who on God's green earth is voting for these teams. Derek Jeter is and will always be a legend, but that doesn't make him an All-Star. While CC Sabathia, who is a top 5 pitcher in the world is no where to be found. I mean come on, the fan vote has gone way too far.

The fans voting is a nice thing, a little novelty to get the fans into the game. It's shit, being an All-Star is an honor for the present year. It's a "what have you done for me lately" thing, rather than what your legacy is. Alright, Derek Jeter as an All-Star, maybe, but as a starter, something is wrong with that. It's kind of like in little league where the coach's son makes the All-Star team. The kid's a decent ball player but no All-Star. To add to it, he starts and hits leadoff. I grew up watching Derek Jeter and him as the Yankee shortstop has been about as consistent as gravity but him as the starting shortstop for the American League in the 2011 All-Star game is a little absurd. There is nothing All-Star about a .260 average with 2 homeruns and 20 RBIs.

I truly believe the fans voting for the entire All-Star team is just stupid. It should be a collection of the managers and players picking the teams and maybe do the a fan vote for the last player to make the team. Think of it this way, as long as a certain player has played enough games, he is eligible and on the ballot. So if I am playing first base for the Yankees and have 1 hit in 200 at bats and I just suck, but the entire United States votes for me that makes me an All-Star? Seems a little fishy, kind of like electing the class President in high school. It comes down to the hot girl and the good looking funny guy. A popularity contest if you may.

The fan vote has to go. Derek Jeter, sorry but if you're an All-Star, I'm a male model.

No comments:

Post a Comment