Wednesday, September 12, 2012

"Sarah Says" Give The Wing Girl A Chance



Picture it. You’re single. You’re at a bar. You’re on the prowl. You’ve got some extra cash to buy a pretty girl drinks. (We’ll just pretend that your motives are entirely pure.) And there’s the hottest babe you’ve ever seen! But then you notice next to her – her fairly average friend. “Bro,” you say to your buddy next to you, “I gotta get that, I need you to be my wingman.” And off you go to the babiest babe and your friend “takes one for the team.” Well, buddy, you’re missing out.

I have had it confirmed for me, such is the joke that is my life, that I am the girl that wingmen exist for. I have been blessed and cursed with obscenely attractive friends. In the genetic lottery, all I won was unique colored eyes and a ballin’ sense of humor. So, you know, I have to buy my own drinks and field questions of – “Hey, is your friend single?” and “Is she into me?” and on one rare occasion when a man’s advances were rebuked, “God, why is your friend such a bitch?”

Hey, buddy, why don’t you ask her? I know when you’re ask the bar it’s basically a liquor fueled pheromone storm, but you are ignoring 50% of the female population at the bar. Listen, I’m not above talking to a guy because I find him attractive. But you know what? I’m more than happy to talk to his wingman, too. You know why? Because he could be awesome. I mean, he’s sacrificing his own good time so his friend can be a player.

But you know what? Your wingman could very well be having a better time than you are. I’ve seen it happen. Frequently. Because the second tier wing-friends don’t go into bars cocky and determined. The wing-friends are casual, happy and a helluva lot less full of themselves.

What I am saying is expand your horizons. Don’t be shallow. As we all reach our mid-twenties, it’s time to grow up. Buy the hot girl’s friend a drink because she’s awesome, not because you want to get in the hot girl’s pants.

Sarah is the creator of Not the it Girls. You can contact her at sarah@nottheitgirls.com and find her on twitter at @totallynotsarah.

No comments:

Post a Comment