Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Jets Are Officially Eliminated

Good. I'm happy about it. Trent Dilfur said it best last night, "this is NFL Justice." The Jets did not deserve to make it to the playoffs this year, plain and simple.

I can't lie, I'm very mad at myself. I'm mad because I'm better than just an emotional fan. I look at quantifiable evidence to determine whether or not a team is any good and I try to leave my emotions out of it. I did that in the beginning of the year. I looked at the Jets roster and I said, "this team is mediocre. This team will go 6-10, or 7-9, or maybe 8-8 and will miss the playoffs and be forever a mediocre team." I called that in the beginning of the season. I got people telling me that I'm a fake Jets fan because I don't think they're that good. I catch shit mentioning Jaws' QB countdown which ranked two of the Jets QB's at the bottom of the league. Even with Jaws' rankings, I still tried to give Sanchez the benefit of the doubt. But the dude is average at best, his receiving core this year was dog shit, the running game is about as dynamic as me taking my morning shit, and the coaching staff, front office, and owner are as liable for blame as any of the players.

But guess what, even with my knowledge of football, my understanding of what it takes to be a PLAYOFF team, and the fact I do my best to leave my emotions out of it...I got caught up. I got caught up these last two weeks with the possibility that this team could actually make the playoffs. Stupid me. I'm kicking myself for this. I allowed myself to actually believe that this team had a prayer in hell to make it into the playoffs. And just when I was getting amped up about the possibility of this team making it into the postseason they show up last night and kick me right in the dick. Just fucking punished me. Stepped on my chest with a spiked heel. Stepped on my head while I was drowning. Everything they could have done to just break me down they did.

5 turnovers. 5 turnovers in an elimination game. 5 turnovers in an elimination game against the fucking Titans. The Titans who have one of the worst defenses in the NFL. Yeah, that Titans team. Sanchez threw 4 picks. Not one of them can be blamed on a receiver botching a route. They're all on him. The pick that really bothered me (they all did) was his last one. Back foot throw on an otherwise good drive into triple coverage down 4 with the season on the line. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!! And then obviously, you have to cap this horrific game off with another gift from the Titans which was taken by the Jets, opened, and immediately urinated on with the preceding fumble on the 25 yard line with, once again, the entire season on the line. And does Sanchez get pissed? No. Forget that. It's not that important. He taps Mangold on the chest and probably says in a dull roar, "Awww, shoot!! Well, gosh darnett Mark!" Pitiful.

I think that was Sanchez' last play as a Jet. Has to be right? I mean, I think this season has pretty much solidified that he can't be anything more than a shitty Alex Smith. I'll take Alex Smith. I'll take Mike Vick. Hell I'll even deal with McElroy next year if it means we can actually go 2-14 and get a decent draft pick. Take a look at the Skins and the Colts. They're going to the playoffs this year! They dealt with a couple of shitty seasons and guess what? Now they are on their way up. I don't understand the false sense of hope or loyalty that management has to Sanchez. He's a big boy. He knows that he's been terrible. Send him to KC. I honestly wish the best for him. He works hard, he's a good dude, he handled the Tebow situation incredibly this year...but he's just not the right fit for the NYJ right now. Plain and simple. That's just business.

The business point has been on my mind also. Woody Johnson treats this team like a business. It's all about coverage. You know the old adage, "All press is good press." The team, because of their location was most likely revenue positive this year. Probably substantially. The truth is, Woody Johnson could care less about how this team actually performs, as long as they are making money. As long as fans come to the game, and people watch on T.V.; sponsors will keep on sponsoring, ticket sellers will keep on selling tickets, and the money that teams make once fans are in the stadium...forget about it. So, that being said, congratulations Woody, you got the back cover on Tuesday!




No comments:

Post a Comment