Monday, October 22, 2012

Jets- Week 7


I think we can call this the week that could have been. Because, it could have been a great week. Could have improved to 4-3 and had a chance to be 5-3 heading into the bye week. Could have been a huge mental victory to beat the Pats at Gillette in a close game. Could have been a big optimistic boost for a fan base that has had to deal with the depression of being a Jets fan day in and day out. But instead, a three point loss in a game that the Jets should have won.

Obviously there are more than 5 plays that had an impact on the game, but I think when looking back at the film, 5 plays are going to come back to haunt the Jets during film review this week.

First and foremost, Stephen Hill. What the fuck bro. No reason to run up field there. Just catch the goddamn ball. Sure, there is no guarantee that the Jets score a TD there. You know what is guaranteed though? An extra set of downs. Extra time coming off the clock. And momentum built.

Sanchez's INT. Don't get me wrong, I think Sanchez played pretty damn well yesterday. Numbers were really solid. Over 60% completion, over 300 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT. At a glance the numbers look good. That being said, over 60% completion rating against the Pats secondary should be about as easy as taking a piss for a starting QB. My friend, a Pats fan, texted me saying "if Sanchez doesn't complete over 60% of his passes against our secondary he should be cut on the spot." Anyways, I digress, the interception. By far Sanchez's worst pass, and worst decision of the game. How an NFL QB can under throw a pass that badly is beyond me. I mean, he literally under threw that ball by 15 yards. Wasn't even fucking close. When he released the ball and I saw he was heaving it downfield I stood up, by myself in my house, and started to violently curse at the TV. Here's what I said, "Are you fucking kidding me Sanchez? How in gods name do you not see Shonn Greene standing on the flat for a check down that would be an EASY 15 yard gain?" This is Sanchez's problem. Just take the 10 yard gain. Check the ball down. Even if he made a perfect throw in to the endzone he had to sneak a 35 yard pass between up top and underneath coverage, a difficult pass for anyone let alone Mark. This play will be reviewed over and over. Dump the fucking ball off and live to see another set of downs.

Safety. Huge play. To say Slauson got blown up off of the line would be the understatement of the century. He got pummeled off of the line. I don't blame Shonn Greene for looking up there. As an RB you don't expect a defensive linemen to be that far in the backfield on a simple handoff. Just an awful job by Slauson there, and most likely the difference in a win or a loss.

Special Teams TD. Special Teams has been great all season, but they got abused on this TD return by McGourty. I'm sure Westhoff will beat special teams to shit this week for allowing this to happen. It's why he's the Jets best coach, he doesn't like to be embarassed.

Finally, the possession after McGourty's fumble. Pitiful execution. First down in that situation and ball game folks. Simple runs up the middle against a defense like the Pats is just plain stupid. Pats secondary couldn't cover a decent HS wide reciever, but the Jets decide to just run it up the gut and be content with a field goal and what is basically an eternity for Tawmm to march down field. Also, if someone could tell me what the fuck Sanchez was doing on 3rd down not getting rid of the ball for an incompletion I would love to know. It didn't wind up hurting the Jets, but it made the kick 15 yards longer and I just don't understand how a starting QB in the NFL can be that stupid.

P.S. At least they covered 10.5

No comments:

Post a Comment