Thursday, August 2, 2012

What Would The Olympic Football Team Look Like? (Offensive Starters)



Obviously football is an American sport and it would never be in the Olympics but out of curiosity let's say the committee came out yesterday and said that in four years football would be an Olympic sport.

Here would be my offensive starters for Rio De Janeiro in 2016.

Quarterback

Aaron Rodgers (Green Bay Packers) 

Like I said this is for 2016. In four years you gotta assume Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Drew Brees will probably be finished or close to it. Aaron Rodgers will be in the absolute prime of his career, which is scary. A guy like Cam Newton, RG3 or Andrew Luck could easily be considered as well but with the amount of talent that will be on this team, all they need is the distributor and Rodgers will be the best at that. If it's present day I'd probably go with Tom terrific.

Running Back

Trent Richardson (Cleveland Browns)

This was a real tough one. Again it's 2016; Adrian Peterson, Ray Rice, Arian Foster will all be near the end of their careers. Running backs don't last and if Trent Richardson, who is a rookie this year, is as advertised he will be the next great generation running back like Tomlinson or Peterson. By his fourth year he would still be the best in the league.

Wide Receivers

Calvin Johnson (Detroit Lions)
Larry Fitzgerald (Arizona Cardinals)
AJ Green (Cincinnati Bengals)

Calvin Johnson will undoubtedly still be an animal four years from now. 

How weird would it be that Larry Fitz will be like the old man on this squad? He would be like the Jason Kidd of the 2008 Beijing basketball team. Just dropping knowledge all over the place and running circles on crappy corners from Zimbabwe or Russia. 

The third spot was tough. Wes Welker would've been a perfect slot receiver for the combo but he'll be done four years from now. Victor Cruz I didn't count because I'm sure he'd find some way to play for team Puerto Rico and Andre Johnson wouldn't fit the slot receiver type. So the decision came down to the two rookie sensations Julio Jones and AJ Green. 

Although I like Jones better, he is going to be an Andre Johnson clone so to put him in the slot wouldn't fit. I think the more agile Green will better suit CJ and Fitz.

Tight Ends

Rob Gronkowski (New England Patriots)
Jimmy Graham (New Orleans Saints)

I'm wasting my time if I explain this one.

Offensive Line

LT - Jake Long (Miami Dolphins)
LG - Carl Nicks (Tampa Bay Buccaneers)
C - Maurkice Pouncey (Pittsburgh Steelers)
RG - Chris Snee (New York Giants)
RT - Michael Oher (Baltimore Ravens)

Good luck getting to the QB with this line. Long may never give up a sack for the rest of his career. In four years maybe Nate Solder of New England could catch him.

I had Logan Mankins originally but in four years I think Nicks will still be the better left guard.

Same thing at center. I had Nick Mangold but Pouncey is so good already that in four years he'll be better than the elder Mangold.

Right guard was tough, Snee and Jahri Evans will be up there in age but still no better option unless a rookie like David DeCastro turns out to be a stud.

Right tackle is all "The Blind Side"s star.

*** Check Back Tomorrow For Defensive Starters

No comments:

Post a Comment