Friday, August 3, 2012

Johnny Baseball's Top 10 Fantasy Running Backs


Good day to y'all.  It feels good to be back, that is all I can say.  I stormed back onto the scene with the top 10 fantasy Quarterbacks, now I will continue my wrath of blogging with the Top 10 fantasy Running Backs, or Half Backs as they used to be called.  Funny how there's been such an evolution of this position.  Turn on Madden 2003 and they are called HB and now they are RB.  Oh well, whether be HB or RB...here's my top ten

10. Jamaal Charles - The only reason this guy is at 10 is because of last years injury, an ACL tear.  Look for Jamaal to come back strong.  He is really risk reward at this point but if he can get back on the field, the guy is money. Two 1,000 yard rush and 40 reception years in a row provide well above average fantasy points, but like we are all thinking, can he be trusted to return to his normal form?

9. Adrian Peterson - I guess were getting guys who were hurt last year out the way.  Peterson's talent is undoubtedly top notch.  1,000 yard year after 1,000 yard year, but again, last year suffered a really brutal knee injury.  He is a BEAST in the touchdown department scoring 40 from 2009-2011 and he missed 4 games last season.  The guy could be one of the best pure runners we've ever seen, but can he rebound after his injury that came extremley late in the year? Only time, and a fantasy owner with a pair of balls will find out.

8. Ryan Mathews - Not a huge fan of him, but last years numbers were pretty solid.  This year the Chargers are without Mike Tolbert and if Mathews can put up another 1,000 yard rush season with 50 catches while missing two games, he will be a delight to all fantasy owners.  Does come with some injury problems so make sure you have some insurance at the RB position. I probably wouldn't take the guy, but hey what does Johnny Baseball know? I was only in 2 fantasy championship games last year, and I won one. Not bad for a amateur blogger who's had 3 surgeries and has absolutley no athletic career anymore except for managing fantasy teams.

7.  Darren McFadden - I LOVE Darren...when he is on the field.  Only played 7, 13, and 12 games the past 3 years.  When he plays the numbers he puts up are staggering.  Two straight years of 5 yards per carry, the only problem is he has carried the ball 113 times or fewer in 3 of the last 4 years.  Michael Bush is gone so look for McFaddens work load to increase, and as long as he stays on the field he will produce, just do us all a favor and draft some decent backups.

6. Michael Turner - I have him a little high for my liking, but the past two seasons this guy has ran over everyone and everything in his path.  Two 1,300 yard 10+ touchdown years in a row make this guy a stud to me.  Not really a huge factor in the passing game but with 10 rushing touchdowns in the run game that has no matter to me.  The Falcons should win a bunch of ball games this year and look for big Mike to be running over people all year long on his way to an almost elite fantasy running back season. Throw the guy a damn screen once and a while and let him plow someone, please.

5. Maurice Jones-Drew - A workhorse, nothing else you can say about this guy.  Had the rushing title last year and has also had 300+ recieving yards in the past 3 seasons.  He hasn't had double digit touchdown rushes in 2 years though, and he apparently doesn't want to report to camp.  This could be a big risk for early drafters, but MJD is as solid as solid gets in fantasy.  May not put up the numbers he did last year, but will have a solid year.

4. Chris Johnson - Will have the biggest bounce back year since Chad Pennington. (HAHA had to make fun of the Jets somehow in this article.)  Seriously though Chris Johnson is going to have a MONSTER year. You mean to tell me this guy isn't sitting at home thinking about the 4, YES I SAID 4....4! rushing touchdowns he had last year.  He barely cracked 1,000 yards.  He did have 57 catches though with 400 plus yards, but last year was extremley subpar.  I think CJ2K bounces back with a MVP type season.

3. Ray Rice - Ya boy got paid now it's time for him to relax for a few seasons.  That is the last thing a fantasy owner wants to see.  All kidding aside though Ray Rice is literally the entire Ravens offense.  about 1,300 rush yards in the past 3 years. Also hes had around 70 catches, some wide recievers don't even get to that point.  A bunch of tochdowns rushing and recieving make this guy an elite fantsy running back.  He does it all folks, draft him with pride and confidence as he has played all 16 games 3 seasons straight (sorry for the jynx pal)

2. Arian Foster  - I know, I know you're saying how can he be number 2? I think he is going to have another monster year, but I think one person could have a better one.  Guy does it all...catches, rushes, hell even give him a shot at wildcat QB.  Just get the ball in the guys hands.  Had the hamstring injury last year but I don't think that will effect him at all this year, although he did miss 3 games.  From week 4 on last year, he was the number one back for fantasy and had seven 100 yard games.  He is elite as elite gets in fantasy.

1. LeSean McCoy - Guy will be a manimal this year.  1,300 rush yards and 17 touchdowns?!?!?!? Phew, that is alot of fantasy points.  That was his second year as a starter and this guy is just getting better and better. Maybe the Eagles will learn to put the ball in this guys hands more rather than Mike Vicks.  Also had six 100 yard games and played in 15 games.  I think I know who my first pick in my draft is if nobdy takes this guy before me.

Just some more little tid bits about fantasy running backs

Sleepers : Don't be surprised if you get good years from : DeMarco Murray, Reggie Bush,  BenJarvus Green-Ellis, and James Starks.

Guys I expect to have soild years : Fred Jackson, Steven Jackson, Darren Sproles.

Busts : Frank Gore, Matt Forte, Marshawn Lynch, Willis McGahee,  Shonn Greene.

Rookie Sensation : Trent Richardson

That's all for Running Backs, it was a pleasure, look for wide recievers coming to a blog near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment