Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The New York Mets Might Be the Worst Team in Baseball

 

Watching the New York Mets play baseball is like watching the same movie over and over again. You know what's going to happen, but you still can't turn your head away from the screen. Last night was just another prime example of a terrible team doing things that terrible teams do: Find ways to lose.

I can look passed the fact that this lineup is arguably one of the worst lineups in baseball. But I can't look passed the fact that they have absolutely zero idea how to manufacture runs. They don't move runners over, they don't make productive outs and some of these guys look absolutely clueless at the plate. I would rather watch Ike Davis hit blind folded at this point because he's useless. Sure, he hit a single last night but it was on a hanging curveball. A hanging curveball for a guy like me should be a single. A hanging curveball for a guy like Ike Davis should be a 450 foot home run. Not a base hit through the hole.

I've watched enough of David Wright throughout his career to know that he's good enough to hit .300 no matter what. But I can also tell you why he's hitting for zero power right now. He has no base. Please people, it's the world of DVR now, just watch the way he takes a pitch. He's so far out on his front foot it's disgusting. That's the reason for the power outage of 2 home runs so far. As for Lucas Duda, all I heard about coming into the season was how great his bat speed is and how he's definitely a 30 home run, 90 RBI guy. The guy has been hitting in the middle of the lineup for the entire month and he has 8 RBI's. 5 home runs and 8 RBI's? He doesn't have a clutch bone in his body. I'm sick of hearing about how great he is, he's below average at best.

And lastly to the defensive side. First of all, the Mets do not have a major league outfielder on this roster. I would rather have Air Bud playing right field and hitting leadoff than Mike Baxter. Baxter is a fifth outfielder on a Triple A roster and he's starting and hitting leadoff for this team? Can they find a center fielder? This kid Lagares plays the hell out of centerfield but he hasn't been able to hit a beach ball with a tennis racket. Colin Cowgill is a 5'9 185 pound center fielder who swings the bat like he's King Kong and has the worst approach I have ever seen. If you threw it into the stands, he would swing at it. And do I really have to say anything about the bullpen? They should just start trying out people on the 7 train and see if they can get hitters out since no one on the actual roster can.

My nightmare has finally come. This might be the worst team in baseball. An anemic offense with no outfield and no bullpen pretty much gives them three out of five aspects of the game that they are absolutely atrocious in. I knew it would be a long year but I never anticipated this. I'm just hoping we get a phenom with the number one pick who ends up in the majors within the next year and a half. If I can't hope for that, all hope is lost. It looks like alcohol is the only way to get through the remainder of this baseball season.

No comments:

Post a Comment